Thanksgiving is Thursday, and studying abroad makes you realize all the things (both big and small) that you’re thankful for. So, here’s a small list of things that I’m thankful for, and some things are serious, some are not so serious, but I really am thankful for all of them.
10 Things I’m Thankful For: The 2008 Edition
1. My Family: Not just my biological family(whom I love – even when they drive me crazy!), but those people who over time have become my family, who have embraced me as a sister, a daughter, a friend. These are the people who make my life worth living, the people on my speed-dial – if you will – and the people I miss dearly. I’d list them all, but it’d be too long a list. They have given me everything: a shoulder to cry on, undying support, and constant love. My family, my friends, and my boyfriend. They would do anything from me, and I would be lost without them, and without…
2. My Faith and Dreams: When I think back on the past year, I am (first off) in awe of all the things that have happened and (secondly) grateful. They have been good and bad, but through it all I’ve learned that I have a deeper and stronger faith than I knew – which a year ago, I’d all but lost. And now, living 5,000 miles from home, it’s my faith that keeps me from total homesickness and insanity. As for my dreams, I think it’s our dreams and aspirations which make us push for things in life. Lately, I’ve been mulling over my dreams and contemplating the future. I’ve been blessed to fulfill so many of my dreams already, and to have people around me who encourage me to follow my dreams.
3. Hugs & Smiles: Something I miss right now, because it seems that Czechs don’t exactly hug or smile. But I love hugs, and I am thankful for friends who hug me for no reason. I’m thankful for the smiles that brighten my day, and the warmth and compassion that smiles convey. Actions do speak louder than words.
4. This Semester: It hasn’t been easy. Rarely a day goes by when I don’t miss home to some degree, but I am thankful for it. Having a second chance to study abroad, and to see the Czech Republic through older and more experienced eyes has been an experience in itself. I’ve learned things about Europe and CZ that I never noticed before. To learn – and not just in class – what the world is trying to teach me, is a great gift.
5. Photography: Without my photography, I’d be lost. It’s a challenge, a job, a dream, a passion, and a way to show the world what I see.
6. The rain that is almost snow outside my window: I’m hoping for a beautiful white Christmas.
7. The Internet & Skype: Being 5,000 miles from home, I am ever so thankful for the technology that allows me to hear and see the people I love.
8. Letters: While instant communication is great, I’m thankful for being able to send postcards and receive letters. It’s nice to have something tangible in my hands, however “old-fashioned” it may be.
9. The Rise of the Dollar: I am very thankful that the dollar is strong so that I can afford to eat and live here right now.
10. My Health: Besides the cold I’ve had for the past few days, I’ve been fairly healthy lately, and I’m glad to be over all the sickness I had last year.
I miss you 🙁 I really need girl talk time. I don't really have many people to do that with. Excited for you to come back, even though that's sad because then your adventure is over…
Wow, you posted again before i got a chance to list my ten. oh well, here they are:
10 things I am thankful for:
1) My husband, and
2) My children who are wonderful, (I missed them very much),
3) My health, and
4) My families health,
6) That I don’t have a lot of debt
7) Beautiful sunsets, mountains
8) Clear, clean air in winter
9) Someone to take a long morning walk with
10) Good chocolate 🙂 and time to savor it.
Miss you! Mami
I'm thankful for the family I've been placed with, they are amazing and have truly made this an unforgetable experience for me. I'm thankful for the friends I've made here and well everyone gets along, it's nice to not have a ton of drama. And I'm thankful for all the people that have made my life what it is, I'm surrounded by amazing people who have helped to shape me and I'm thankful for them everyday and miss them lots!!!